Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Game Day


This past Sunday, father's day my husband's family had a reunion. I brought along cherry cobbler yummy, yummy!

In my dear husbands family there is a routine for these gatherings. This is how they have been doing picnics for many generations, it is not to be toyed with or questioned. You bring your cooler with whatever you want to drink, you bring a picnic basket filled with anything your little heart could ever desire while attending a picnic ( must be a picnic basket, not a box or extra cooler, you lose points for that.), you bring a table cover for the picnic table that you will eat at as well.

Come prepared, because this ladies is the challenge of the homemaker away from home. Trust me you do not want to go to another picnic table and ask to borrow a fork, for at that point the game is over and all is lost! All of these things are necessary for a stellar picnic party, so as you can imagine I wanted to be on top of my picnic game.

In all honesty I could hardly believe what was coming out of my mouth as we headed off for the reunion. "Scott, make sure that you use the things that I have packed, don't use your moms, Ive got EVERYTHING we need in my handy dandy picnic basket" see, if Scott would use his mother's items instead of mine that would be automatic disqualification for our team.

When you arrive at the picnic first thing is the marking of the territories, this is a ritual. Because this is a family reunion each branch of the family must identify itself by the table cover you brought, you earn extra points for each year you bring the same cover( a bright color is best), that rule holds true for the cooler and picnic basket as well.

I was nervous because last year we were not married so I was a red shirted. I am thankful that I had the chance to observe. You learn a lot from the bench, I mean picnic table. This year, well it was my first playing season so I wanted to perform well.

I had my picnic basket (I earned some extra points b/c I received it from my mom so it looked very old and like it might break at any moment, I think I surprised them, its not often that a new recruit brings that kind of game to the picnic table), I had my cooler ( again extra points I received this cooler from a picnic senior as a wedding gift, this is a strong show that I am a team player.) As for my dessert well it won the gold medal because I got the recipe from my team leader, my mother in law.

As you can see the first half went well. However in the second things got a bit shaky when I handed out the real silverware and napkins. I almost received a technical because they weren't disposable. Thankfully there was nothing they could find in the rule book that said you had to throw away what you brought. It was a new play and if you want the truth I think they might have even took some notes, I wouldn't be surprised if next year they use my strategy!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

That sounds like fun! Scott's family cracks me up, but I love the traditions they hold on to!

Are you allowed to share the cobbler recipie?

Zayannee said...

The cobbler is extreamly unhealthy which equals very very good. It's easy to make too!

All you need is cherry pie filling, a stick of big but I mean butter :) and yellow cake mix. I use the Jiffy cake mix.

Use a small glass pan or large for a double batch. Preheat oven at 400, Dump your cherries in the bottom and level, shake the cake mix over the top, melt the butter and drizzel over the cake mix, cook at 375 for 35 min I broil for about 3-5 min to make the top a little more crispy and brown.

Easy as... cherry cobbler :)

Yeah it is fun, Rusty even showed up this year which was the first in many years, Jarrod came too! The rivals always make it a little more interesting.

Oh and serve that cobbler with vanillia ice cream!