Thursday, June 14, 2007

I don't want to be a trashy girl! :(




I'm in a bit of a pickle. I am asking you for your thoughts on what I should do with all my plastic ware, paper plates, napkins, and cups. Should I use up the stock that I have and save up for a reusable set? Should I hide them away forever so that I don't use them? Wouldn't that be wasteful?

Please a little insight would be appreciated!

I am making a vow not to purchase these items again but I could open up a store with the stock I'm holding! Again, gifts from the wedding included these items. I received a cooler full disposable picnic supplies that I have not yet put a dent in.

At dinner we use our fiesta ware plates even though we have to "gasp" wash them when were done! I'm trying hard to do little things that add up to a big difference but I just don't feel like I'm doing enough!

Another topic for the day plastic bags. Shame on me for not having reusable ones *YET*. I saw some on sale at T.J. Maxx but I thought wait a second here aren't there some bags somewhere that I could purchase that aren't creating another major store sale? I mean something a little more green. These things were wrapped up in tons of plastic and I just had a hard time believing their creator cared about waste. I would rather support someone who did!

The plastic bags I do have I always save. They don't hit the trash can. I do try to find a use for them!

If you have some ideas please HELP my green dream come true :)!

4 comments:

Christian said...

Since they've already been bought they should definitely be used. It does seem wasteful to just toss them. If you don't want to use them your self you could donate to a church or non profit or soup kitchen etc. who regularly uses that kind of stuff and would welcome the donation.

Zayannee said...

Thank you so much for your input!

I think I will do just that! I know that Christ Table, a soup kitchen in my home town would be greatful and I would feel better knowing they were used for good!

Thanks again!

Mandy said...

I second the donation idea! Christ's Table, or any of the locan churches would probably be glad to use them for their next function!

Another thought...ever consider making your own bags?? I'm sure canvas would be cheap. Also, do some research into natural food store chains and see what they have to offer. Here in NC we have a chain called Bloom that sells nice, reusable canvas bags for $1/bag! I bet the folks at Sweet Meadow could steer you in the right direction!

bluemountainmama said...

here is a link for a place to purchase re-usable bags:
http://www.reusablebags.com/

it also has a lot of good ideas on it. i just happened upon my bags...in health food stores. now if i'd just remember to bring them along when i go shopping! old habits are hard to break. :)